When you are at the most vulnerable stage in your life, it is always a dilemma to choose health and well-being over other factors. With the cost of bone marrow transplantation being so high, one needs to make a conscious decision of choosing the best healthcare provider who will present comprehensive treatment to give you a new lease for life.
Advantages of Bone Marrow Transplantation in India
The cost of bone marrow transplant in India according to the type of transplant is as follows:
|Sr.No.||Procedures||Evaluation Cost (USD)||Treatment Cost (USD)|
|1||Autologous Bone Marrow Transplant||1300 – 1800||15000 – 24500|
|2||Allogenic Bone Marrow Transplant||1300 – 1800||25000 – 37500|
|3||Haplo Bone Marrow Transplant||1300 – 1800||36000 – 50000|
|4||Unrelated Bone Marrow Transplant||1300 – 1800||65000 – 90000|
Depending on the condition of the patient, the concerned doctor may suggest to undergoing radiation therapy or chemotherapy. The cost for the same will have to be additionally added to the above-listed cost, based on the type of transplant one has to opt for.
1. The cost of one cycle of chemotherapy is anywhere between USD 500 to USD 1000 (INR 35643 to INR 71286)
2. The cost for radiation therapy is approximately USD 3500- USD 5500 (INR 249503 to INR 392075)
3. The mentioned cost is exclusive of any post-operative complications, over-stay charges, inter-disciplinary conditions, or use of any special drugs, consumables or blood components.
When planning your bone marrow transplant in India, we recommend you to be prepared and aware of every minuscule aspect, so as to avoid any surprises. We, at MedicoExperts, are open and ready to answer any query you may have.
India - an advanced cost-effective option for BMT treatment
With the ever-advancing field of medicine and research technology, the pool of doctors and surgeons in India are erudite and with years of expertise in treating life-threatening diseases.
The infrastructure and technology of the top hospitals in India are at par with the facilities available in the western counterparts.
At one-third of the cost with the best surgeons in India, one can be assured of quality treatment and holistic care. Efforts have been also taken to reduce the cost for bone marrow transplant by focusing on newer strategies and advanced technologies to bring about effective healthcare.
Reasons to choose India over other countries:
- Economy and standard of living: The cost for bone marrow treatment in India is much more affordable as opposed to undergoing treatment in the US, Thailand or any European country. Even the stay, consultation, facilities and everything else will also cost much lower when compared to the western counterparts.
- Options: India has a wide range of hospitals to choose from; that offer care and treatment according to one’s budget. With the advancement in the field of medicine, the hospitals also try their best to bring down the cost to make treatment cost-effective and available to all strata of society. There is also the promising possibility of choosing doctors whose expertise and experience will help you heal better. The cost differs greatly based on the chosen surgeon.
|Sr.No.||Countries||Average Cost (USD)||Average Cost (INR)|
|1||India||$15,000 – $90,000||₹10,69,095 – ₹64,14,569|
|2||USA||$350,000 – $800,000||₹2,47,36,250 – ₹5,65,40,000|
|3||United Kingdom||$233,310 – $583,275||₹1,64,89,184- ₹4,12,22,960|
|4||Germany||$100,000 – $250,000||₹70,67,500 – ₹1,76,68,750|
|4||United Kingdom||$49,999 – $100,000||₹35,33,679 – ₹70,67,500|
Types of Bone Marrow Transplant
The cost of the transplant depends upon the type of transplant one has to undergo. Below we have explained the types of BMT treatment approaches:
1. Autologous Bone Marrow Transplant:
In this type of BMT, the patient’s own body’s healthy blood forming stem cells are collected and processed to replace with the unhealthy and diseased blood cells.
2. Allogenic Bone Marrow Transplant:
In this type of BMT, the healthy blood forming cells are taken from a donor who could be a sibling, parents or someone unrelated.
Depending on the relation of the donor and matching of tissue, Allogenic BMT is further classified into 3 types. They are;
a) Complete Matched Sibling Donor BMT: In this, the donor is most likely to be a brother or sister of the patient. These are often a complete match to patient’s tissue.
b) Haplo-identical BMT: It is a type of Allogenic BMT in which parents are usually a donor to the patient since they are a half match for their children. In cases, where a complete match is not found and the patients do not have any sibling, the expert surgeon considers parents to be a donor and perform Haplo-identical BMT.
c) Unrelated Donor BMT: In cases, where there is no sibling and parents are also not a match for the patient, then Un-related Donor BMT is the solution, in which donor who is unrelated to you is made available for the transplant from the Donor Match Registry.
Bone marrow transplant is a decisive option when there is a prolonged complaint. The diseased bone marrow can be replaced by BMT treatment for the enlisted concerns when one is suffering from:
Procedure for BMT in India
Success rate of Bone Marrow Transplant in India
The success rate of bone transplant in India differs from hospital to hospital with a collective average ranging from 60-90%. This is a result of extremely qualified and highly skilled surgeons and highly equipped, hospitals with strict patient care, cleanliness and infection control policies. The percentage of relapse noticed in cases of autologous transplant patients is comparatively low.
Frequently Asked Questions and patient concerns:
1. What is a bone marrow transplant?
A bone marrow transplant is a treatment that replaces an unhealthy marrow with a healthy one.
It is indicated when the bone marrow in the human body is not healthy enough to carry out its normal functions due to any disorder or cancer of blood cells.
2. How do I know which bone marrow transplant is best for me?
The consulting surgeon will review your reports and decide on the best suited option for your treatment.
We at MedicoExperts, ensure that you get nothing but the best diagnosis and treatment for your ailment. Be assured to get best treatment advice from the chosen best surgeons in India.
3. What is the difference between bone marrow transplants and stem cell transplants?
In a stem cell transplant, the stem cells are collected from the patients’ own blood and used; while in the case of a bone marrow transplant, the bone marrow is extracted from the donor and injected to the patient who has undergone high-dose therapy.
4. What are the commonly noticed side-effects of undergoing bone marrow transplant?
Besides the higher risk of infection due to a stressed immune system, the commonly noticed side effects are but not limited to,
- Nausea and vomiting
- Low levels of platelets, which can decrease how well blood can clot
- Low levels of red blood cells, which can cause anemia
5. How long will I take to recover from my treatment?
Recovery after Bone Marrow Transplant is long and tiresome, both physically and emotionally for the patient and family. Initial 3 months are critical enough for the recovery of the patients.
They need complete monitoring during this span since there are high chances of complications and risk of rejection of the transplant. The patient may complain of fatigue, weakness and is unable to concentrate for the first few weeks post-surgery, however full recuperation may take up to 1-2 years.
An estimated stay of around 2-3 months is required in India for the Bone Marrow Transplant Surgery and complete recovery, post which the patient can fly back to his/her country.
6. How soon can I resume my normal work and daily routine?
After a complex and prolonged BMT treatment in India, it is justified to be anxious and return to a daily routine to seek normalcy.
However, once you are done with the transplant, you should be diverting all your energy in regaining your strength and stamina. Staying positive will help you heal better. It will also be advisable to avoid crowded public places, as you will be prone to infection due to lowered immunity functions. Generally, it takes about 3-6 months for a patient to feel better and stable, however, this also depends on certain environmental factors like cleanliness, etc.
7. What can I expect from my bone marrow treatment in India?
BMT procedure is a treatment associated with a number of risks and complexities. It is, therefore, crucial to know if the treatment is suitable for you. BMT procedure is recommended in cases when;
- All other treatment options undergone by the patients have failed
- There is a higher risk of relapse or the disease to return without a transplant.
- The benefits of Bone Marrow Transplant prevail over the risks and complications associated with the surgery
- The patient who is in otherwise good condition and has matched stem cell available from either a sibling or parents and family member.
MedicoExperts is a Global virtual hospital which is established to offer quality healthcare services at affordable pricing without compromising the success rates of the treatment. MedicoExperts is having a network of highly experienced super specialist doctors and well equipped hospitals across the globe and offering second opinion through online video consultation and surgical interventions through its empanelled super specialist doctors at its network hospitals in 17 countries from 3 continents.
By the virtue of its approach and model, MedicoExperts is successfully achieve to deliver
- Latest and most advanced treatments with success rates of international benchmarks.
- Multiple cost options depending upon the hospital facilities, with the same doctor.
- Treatment option in multiple cities/state/countries.
- Trust and peace of mind.
Most suitable for patients who are looking for:-
- Planned Surgeries and treatment from most experienced doctors and at multiple cost options as per hospital facilities with best possible outcomes.
- Second Opinion from expert doctors.
- Complex cases involving multi specialities
- International patients looking for treatment from Indian doctors