Gastric sleeve surgery or vertical sleeve gastrectomy is a surgical procedure to enable an individual to lose weight. In this procedure, about 80 per cent of the stomach is detached. Gastric sleeve surgery is only recommended to patients after they have tried losing weight by exercising, increasing daily physical activity and changing eating habits but were unsuccessful in noticing any significant results. Gastric sleeve surgery in India is extremely beneficial and cost-efficient along with having a very high success rate.
Gastric sleeve surgery is recommended to patients who are morbidly obese or who are obese and suffer from obesity-related health issues like high blood pressure, mobility issues, diabetes, heart diseases, etc. Gastric sleeve surgery can be done either laparoscopically or robot-assisted. Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy involves 5-6 small incision in the abdominal region through which the surgery is done.
Robot-assisted sleeve gastrectomy is a scar-less procedure that employs the use of a robot also called Da Vinci technology, the gastric sleeve surgeon performs the surgery with extremely high precision. This procedure is extremely successful as there is no scars and very little bleeding.
It is a restrictive form of weight loss surgery in which about 2/3rd portion of the stomach is taken out and only a small portion is left behind which looks like a banana or sleeve.
As the size of the stomach is reduced, the patient feels full quicker and the intake of food is restricted. There is also a noticeable decrease in appetite. All these factors contribute greatly to losing weight. However, it is mandatory to make permanent lifestyle changes.
Benefits of undergoing gastric sleeve surgery in India:
Patients from India and other countries choose India to undergo gastric sleeve surgery for the many benefits that it provides.
Cost of gastric sleeve surgery in India is comparatively less expensive without compromising on the quality and precision of the surgery. India is fortunate to have expert and highly experienced team of surgeons who are proficient in handling critical cases with great success.
The best hospitals in India are furnished with the latest technologies and innovations to provide the best treatment to all patients.
The cost of gastric sleeve surgery in India starts from USD 5000. One can also opt for scarless robotic gastric sleeve surgery for an additional amount of about 2000-3000 USD. To determine if gastric sleeve surgery is best suited and to have a complete assessment of the overall health of the patient, a pre-operative evaluation is a must. The cost of a comprehensive investigation and evaluation ranges between USD 500-800.
Criteria for undergoing a gastric sleeve surgery
The gastric sleeve surgeon will carefully evaluate the patient’s medical history and health conditions to determine whether he/she is the right candidate to undergo the surgery. The criteria for undergoing gastric sleeve surgery are as follows:
- If the patient is severely obese with a BMI of more than 35
- If the patient has a BMI between 30-35 along with co-morbidities like diabetes, sleep apnea, hypertension, heart disease, etc.
The patient should be otherwise healthy enough to undergo surgery and recover from the procedure.
Gastric sleeve success rate in India
Patients who undergo gastric sleeve surgery in India enjoy a very good success rate. The quantity of weight loss differs from patient to patient. Within two years, you may be able to lose half or even more of your excess weight. Most patients lose weight quickly after surgery and continue to lose weight until 18 to 24 months after surgery.
Frequently Asked Questions and patient concerns:
1. What medical conditions can gastric sleeve surgery help eliminate?
Often, gastric sleeve surgery enables to eliminate many of the medical issues associated with obesity. The medical conditions it can eliminate are as follows:
- Heart diseases
- Respiratory problems
- Obesity hyperventilation syndrome and sleep apnea
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD (heartburn)
- Low back pain, degenerative joint disease
- High cholesterol
- Stress urinary inconsistency
- Asthma and shortness of breath
2. Is sleeve gastrectomy covered under insurance?
Most insurance companies cover gastric sleeve surgery. Review your insurance policy to see if:
- It covers weight loss procedures
- You need to fulfil any extra coverage criteria
3. How will I know if gastric sleeve surgery is right for me?
In order to know which surgery is the most suited, you need to speak with a bariatric surgeon who will explain the benefits and risks. However, there are a few points you need to know, which are:
- This is not a cosmetic surgery
- It does not require suction or surgical removal of fat.
- It is a lifestyle change commitment that involves diet and practice.
4. How will I take to recover from gastric sleeve surgery?
It takes about a week to completely recover from the surgery, however, strict diet, permanent lifestyle changes and moderate exercise under the recommendation of a physician is a must. However, it could take several weeks until you are able to consume regular food. Because of the surgery, there will be a decrease in appetite and smaller meal portions that make you full. An adequate diet chart will be given to the patient after the surgery, which you would have to be religiously followed for a few weeks.
5. Is gastric sleeve surgery reversible?
No, gastric sleeve surgery is not reversible as a portion of the stomach is removed.
6. What are the potential side effects/complications of gastric sleeve surgery?
As with any surgery, complications and risks are immediate and short-term. You may experience some of the following side-effects after the surgery:
7. What if after sleeve gastrectomy surgery I want to become pregnant?
Most surgeons advise females to wait at least two years for pregnancy after the surgery. Your body should be relatively stable (from weight and nutritional point of view) about two years after surgery, and you should be able to have a good pregnancy. It is necessary to consult with a surgeon before you plan a pregnancy.
- Dumping syndrome
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Temporarily avoidance of pregnancy
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, excessive sweating, increased gas and giddiness
8. When is the surgery deemed successful for weight loss?
Any weight loss surgery is regarded as successful when 50% of the surplus weight is lost and the change is maintained for up to five years. After gastric bypass surgery, ninety-five per cent of patients achieve that objective, and 85 per cent of patients lose 2/3 or more of their excess weight.
9. After the surgery, are there any limitations such as lifting and driving?
Yes. We suggest that you do not drive during the post-operative period, particularly when using any pain medication. It may or may not be limited depending on how well you recover from your surgery. Of course, most patients are not comfortable enough to do any heavy lifting for the first two weeks. If everything goes well after that, you can lift as tolerated.
10. When can I go back to routine activity?
Within 3 to 4 weeks after your surgery, you can resume ordinary exercise. Any surgical pain should disappear after 7-10 days or so.
MedicoExperts is a Global virtual hospital which is established to offer quality healthcare services at affordable pricing without compromising the success rates of the treatment. MedicoExperts is having a network of highly experienced super specialist doctors and well equipped hospitals across the globe and offering second opinion through online video consultation and surgical interventions through its empanelled super specialist doctors at its network hospitals in 17 countries from 3 continents.
By the virtue of its approach and model, MedicoExperts is successfully achieve to deliver
- Latest and most advanced treatments with success rates of international benchmarks.
- Multiple cost options depending upon the hospital facilities, with the same doctor.
- Treatment option in multiple cities/state/countries.
- Trust and peace of mind.
Most suitable for patients who are looking for:-
- Planned Surgeries and treatment from most experienced doctors and at multiple cost options as per hospital facilities with best possible outcomes.
- Second Opinion from expert doctors.
- Complex cases involving multi specialities
- International patients looking for treatment from Indian doctors