The hardest part of any journey is to stay motivated. Be it losing a few pounds or undergoing drastic weight loss, the key is to be focused and dedicated. We were not born with the excess weight; therefore, it is quite possible to get rid of it too. Nonetheless, it won’t disappear magically overnight, without any effort. The weight you carry has been accumulated over time, and gradually with enough motivation, focus and discipline, you can also liberate yourself of it. Successful weight management is a long-term challenge and dedicated commitment.
However, it is very challenging to stick to a diet management plan owing to a hectic lifestyle and other factors. Nonetheless, it is extremely necessary to lose excess weight as it can be harmful to your health in the long run. Carrying excess weight around can be damaging not only to your joints but can also have alarming effects on the overall health. The importance of weight management cannot be denied.
It may not seem like a great deal to gain a few pounds over the span of a year. But over time, these pounds can add up. Increase in weight could also increase the chances of developing health issues. It is suggested that an individual maintain optimum weight and an active lifestyle to live a healthy and disease-free life. It is essential to know what is your ideal body weight and find ways to achieve and maintain it. The appropriate time to lose weight is right now. However, one needs to know how much weight to lose to ensure optimum health.
It is necessary to know how much weight to lose. The best way to find out the optimum weight for you is through a parameter called Body Mass Index. The Body Mass Index or BMI is a straightforward weight-for-height index widely used for adult classification of overweight and obesity. BMI is described as the weight of a person in kilograms separated into meters (kg / m2) by the square of his height. You could use the BMI calculator below to determine which weight loss treatment is the most appropriate for you.
As your BMI is less than or equal to 18.5
As your BMI is less than or equal to 18.5, you are considered underweight. People who are typically underweight do not get enough calories to fuel their bodies. They often suffer from malnutrition as well. Malnutrition means that you don't take enough of your food vitamins and minerals. You may be at risk if you are underweight.
Talk to your doctor before you start a weight gain program. Being underweight can be caused by an underlying health issue. It is not going to be corrected by modifications in diet. Your doctor can assist you to keep track of your advancement.
Eating junk food can lead to an increase in weight. It won't fulfil your body's nutrition requirements, though. Even if the additional weight of fat, sugar, and salt in junk food does not result, it can still damage your body. The following tips can assist to achieve a good weight gain:
As your BMI is greater than 18.5 and less than 24.9
As your BMI is greater than or equal to 18.5 and less than 24.9, you are considered healthy and have a normal BMI. As your BMI is well within the healthy range, it is essential that you maintain it. A healthy BMI can be maintained by eating healthy and exercising in proportion.
As your BMI is between 25 and 30
A BMI greater than or equal to 25, is considered overweight. Losing as little as 5 to 10% of your body weight can have significant health benefits. Making the right and conscious choices will ensure betterment in health and avoid any health complications or ailments in the future.
As your BMI is greater than or equal to 30 and less than 35
A BMI greater than or equal to 30 and less than 35, is considered obese.
Being obese takes a toll on your physical and emotional health along with a very uncomfortable feeling on your own looks and appearance. There may be several things that keep you from losing weight; however, starting the process of weight loss is the first step towards improving your health. Being obese, it is necessary to make lifestyle changes to avoid future serious health complications and chronic ailments.
You might have already attempted to reduce weight but did not succeed. If that is the case, then there is a high probability that you need professional help. However, you need the following to institutionalise in your lifestyle.
As your BMI is greater than or equal to 35
With a BMI greater than or equal to 35, you are considered morbidly obese. As you are highly obese, you are in a very high-risk zone of having lifestyle-related chronic diseases like heart problems, hypertension, diabetes etc. Your joints like knee, hip and ankles are also under extreme pressure. Being a morbidly obese person, it is critical for you to take the necessary actions to lose weight.
The most recommended option for you is the bariatric or "metabolic" surgery.
Motivation, adequate eating, exercise, and an appreciation of better health are the key factors in losing weight and keeping it off. Once you begin losing weight, you will feel better and also notice an improvement in your overall health.Weight loss treatment in India includes following strict diets with natural remedies and exercise, or opting for bariatric surgery like a gastric sleeve or undergoing targeted fat removal procedures like liposuction.
1. Control diet: Eating consciously or controlling what you eat is absolutely necessary when you are trying to lose weight. You can try controlling your diet by eating smaller portion. Replacing unhealthy food with nutrient-rich food, replacing unhealthy snacks with healthy fruit and vegetables as a snacking option will make a difference in the overall food intake.
2. Increase metabolism: One can increase metabolism by eating a protein- rich diet. Adding exercise or just walking or climbing stairs instead of taking a lift will help in the increase of metabolism. A high-intensity workout is also proven to significantly increase the body’s metabolism.
3. Increase activities: Increasing the duration of activities or performing high-intensity workouts will add to the weight loss process. Swimming, running or even doing yoga helps strengthen muscles and bring about weight loss.
4. Guided weight loss: At times, it is overwhelming to choose the best-suited weight loss plan that works for you. You can speak with a doctor or a dietician who will evaluate your overall health and provide a suitable weight loss plan based on your specific requirements. You can also try ME Naturals, a special and customized weight loss package to help you lose weight. Through ME Naturals you will receive a dedicated and specially curated natural weight loss plan. This plan includes a nutritional diet plan that will detoxify the body and increase metabolism. We will also provide natural supplements that will act as a stimulus in this weight loss process. To know more about our personalized guidance and diet plan click on the link here.
5. Cosmetic surgery: Fat removal surgery or cosmetic weight loss surgery in India has many advantages as it can help contour the body after a drastic weight loss or it can also remove fat from certain areas of the body. Cosmetic weight loss procedures can shape the body, can remove fat or excess skin, tighten the skin, and help the body re-contour. You can opt for either:
• Tummy Tuck: A tummy tuck or abdominoplasty is perfect for shaping your body. Excess fat and skin will be removed from your abdomen. The repositioning of the muscle also enables some individuals to loosen strained muscles of the abdomen. To know more about tummy tuck in India, click here
• Liposuction: Liposuction often referred to as 'lipoplasty' or merely referred to as 'lipo' is a fat removal cosmetic surgical procedure that reshapes and sculpts your body using a suction method to remove unwanted fat pockets from troubled regions. It is suitable for those who want to alter and improve their body's contour. To know more liposuction in India, click here
6. Metabolic surgery: Weight loss surgery or bariatric surgery is the surgical intervention for those with BMI greater than 35, and who are suffering from co-morbidities like diabetes, hypertension, joint ache, osteoarthrosis, etc, and who have failed to lose weight naturally with diets and exercise. A bariatric surgeon or doctor will evaluate your case to recommend best-suited surgery.
Types of bariatric surgery in India
Here is a list of the types of bariatric surgery options in India which one can opt for:
• Laparoscopic gastric sleeve
In gastric sleeve surgery or sleeve gastrectomy, a surgeon cuts the stomach to a sleeve-like form, which removes much of the abdomen. The surgery is irreversible, restrictive and can assist individuals to lose their excess body weight by 60 per cent or more.
To know more, click here
• Laparoscopic mini-gastric bypass
In a mini gastric bypass procedure, the upper part of the stomach is split into a tube, similar to the upper part of the sleeve, and then attached to an intestinal loop. This operation is both restrictive and mal-absorbent, which implies that the actual size of your stomach is reduced. The mini-gastric bypass can also be used in patients who have had prior gastric banding or sleeve surgery but who have been unsuccessful with weight loss or who have had band-related complications and decided to undergo revision operation.
To know more, click here
• Laparoscopic gastric band
Gastric banding is a form of weight-loss surgery that includes putting a band of silicone around the upper portion of the stomach to reduce the size of the stomach and reduce the consumption of food. An advantage of this form of bariatric procedure is the normal digestion and absorption of all food consumed. No malabsorption occurs in this kind of surgery.
To know more, Click Here
• Intra-gastric ballooning
A new kind of weight-loss procedure is an intragastric balloon. A silicone balloon filled with saline is placed in your stomach to help you lose weight by limiting how much you can eat. It also makes you feel full more quickly.
To know more, Click Here