Get relief from sharp pain experienced in the back of the knee with PCL reconstruction surgery in India. The sharp pain is indicative of a torn or damaged PCL (posterior cruciate ligament). A torn PCL will cause severe pain and considerable discomfort in moving the knee while walking or bending.
We, at MedicoExperts are dedicated in helping you regain pain-free movement and relief from distressing associated symptoms of a PCL injury or tear. Therefore, to ensure you quality treatment and best outcomes, we have empanelled with us the best orthopaedic surgeons in India who have years of specialized experience in treating PCL tears. Our top orthopaedic hospitals have a dedicated team of experts, specialists and well-trained medical staff to provide you with personalized treatment and round-the-clock care. With MedicoExperts, you can be assured of cost-efficiency and special privileged schemes for your PCL injury treatment in India.
PCL Reconstruction is a specialized surgical procedure in which the torn posterior cruciate ligament is repaired or replaced by a normal functioning tendon/tissue, harvested from the other part of the patient’s knee, so as to restore its knee stability and normal function after an injury. This surgical intervention is performed arthroscopically also popularly known as key-hole or minimally invasive surgery.
PCL reconstruction surgery in India is a perfect combination of the best orthopaedic surgeons, fully-equipped top hospitals and cost-efficiency. The best orthopaedic surgeons in India have years of experience and expertise in successful treatment of PCL injury. The best orthopaedic hospitals in India are fully-furbished with cutting-edge technology and latest infrastructure to provide international quality treatment well within one’s budget.
Some key benefits you can acquire from your PCL surgery in India
The cost of posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) reconstruction in India is one sixth in comparison to the cost of the same in countries like Thailand, Singapore, UK or the US. This affordability comes without compromise in the quality of the treatment. In order to ensure successful outcomes, the orthopaedic surgeon recommends a pre-surgery evaluation to gauge the extend of the injury and the patient’s overall health. The cost for pre-surgery evaluation is USD 500.
The cost of PCL reconstruction in India depends on the type of procedure, surgeon and the facility where you choose to get the surgery done. The cost for PCL repair in India is between USD 2500-3500 and this can be done by either the traditional open approach or the minimally invasive (arthroscopic) approach. The cost for PCL reconstruction in India is between USD 3500-5000 USD and it can be done either by open surgical approach or minimally invasive (arthroscopic) approach. The approach chosen by the orthopaedic surgeon depends on the extend injury and condition of the patient.
• Knee brace for stability and protection
In acute or partial PCL tear, one can use tailor made knee braces and stabilizers to lessen the stress on the injured ligament and curbing the movement at knee and thereby aiding in healing process.
• Conservative management
This is indicated in cases of acute and partial PCL tear, in which proper rest is advisable with the limited to no mobility in order to protect the joint and healing the ligament.
Conservative Management is often combined with the intensive rehabilitation program to regain the normal range of motion, increase stability and strength at the joint so as to perform activities of daily living.
• PCL repair
In this procedure, the partially or completely torn PCL ligament is repaired by sewing it back together using sutures. However, studies have shown that the PCL repair may fails over the time and may require revision surgery or reconstruction.
• PCL reconstruction
In this procedure, the torn PCL ligament is replaced by using a substitute graft taken from either of the following sources
- Hamstrings Muscle Tendon AutoGraft taken from the patient’s own knee
- Patellar Tendon AutoGraft taken from the patient’s own knee
- Quadriceps Muscle Tendon AutoGraft
- Allograft that is a graft taken from a cadaver’s patellar tendon, posterior tibialis tendon, Achilles tendon, Gracilis or Semitendinosus Tendon
Success Rate of PCL Injury Treatment in India
With the expertise of the best orthopaedic surgeon, one can expect successful outcomes and relief from pain. After successful PCL injury treatment in India the patient will be able to regain pain-free movement and better range of motion. The success rate of PCL injury treatment in India is above 80 per cent across hospitals.
Frequently Asked Questions and patient concerns:
1. Who is considered to be an ideal candidate for PCL surgery?
You can be considered as a good candidate for PCL reconstruction surgery if
- You have got your knee injured as a result of some high impact sport activities
- You are facing frequent episodes of disabling knee instability in the form of buckling or knee giving away while walking
- No relief in the symptoms in spite of conservative management or rehabilitation
2. Can PCL injury be prevented or avoided?
Anyone can lower the risk of PCL injuries by training exercises that work on balance, power, and agility. In addition to this if you are doing plyometric exercises, such as balance and jumping exercises, will enhance your neuromuscular conditioning and muscular reactions which will reduce the risk of PCL injury.
3. What can I expect from my PCL surgery?
PCL reconstruction is a minimal invasive surgery, which offers speedy recovery and more rapid return to functional activities. With intensive rehabilitation you can expect good recovery and return back to the functional level within three months. However, it may take 6 months to start the usual sports activities.
4. How is the PCL reconstruction procedure undertaken?
The entire PCL reconstruction procedure is done under general anaesthesia. The orthopaedic surgeon will make an incision to remove the femur bone and tibia bone to precisely locate the graft which will protect your bones with screws. The graft will provide as gibbet on which new ligament tissue can grow.
5. What are the major causes of PCL injury?
It is stated that PCL injuries are more often due to a strike to the knee when it is bent. The most common causes of PCL injuries include:
- Strike to the bent knee against dashboard during road traffic accidents
- Falling down on flexed knee
- Other most common cause of PCL injuries includes sports such as:
6. How is an PCL injury diagnosed?
The doctor will physically examine if both the knees, the normal one and the one with the soreness are same or look different. He/she may also suggest to get an MRI, ultrasound or X-ray done to determine the extent of the damage. Arthroscopy is at times done to precisely determine the extent of the injury and provide real-time repair or correction.
7. What symptoms determine if one has an PCL tear or injury?
If there is no prominent injury or fall causing injury, the symptoms of a PCL tear can be mild or go unnoticed. However, the pain can worsen over time if left untreated. Some of the noticeable signs and symptoms of PCL tear are as follows:
- Subtle or mild pain causing strain and limping/trouble while walking
- Swelling or soreness in the knee
- Weak or painful knees that feel unstable or loose
- Joint pain or an ACL tear associated pain
MedicoExperts is a Global virtual hospital which is established to offer quality healthcare services at affordable pricing without compromising the success rates of the treatment. MedicoExperts is having a network of highly experienced super specialist doctors and well equipped hospitals across the globe and offering second opinion through online video consultation and surgical interventions through its empanelled super specialist doctors at its network hospitals in 17 countries from 3 continents.
By the virtue of its approach and model, MedicoExperts is successfully achieve to deliver
- Latest and most advanced treatments with success rates of international benchmarks.
- Multiple cost options depending upon the hospital facilities, with the same doctor.
- Treatment option in multiple cities/state/countries.
- Trust and peace of mind.
Most suitable for patients who are looking for:-
- Planned Surgeries and treatment from most experienced doctors and at multiple cost options as per hospital facilities with best possible outcomes.
- Second Opinion from expert doctors.
- Complex cases involving multi specialities
- International patients looking for treatment from Indian doctors