Dr. K R Balakrishnan
MBBS, MS (General Surgery), MCh (Cardio-Thoracic Surgery) Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeon
- Skills :Specialize in heart transplants, cardiac surgeries, lung transplants and managing all type of cardiac disorders
- Dr. K. R. Balakrishnan is a most eminent cardiothoracic & transplant surgeon.
- Dr. Balakrishnan has done 329 heart transplants and 65 lung transplants so far.
- Independently performed over 20,000 heart operations.
- Dr. K R Balakrishnan has recently got attached to Jaslok Hospital Mumbai to head their heart transplant center.
- Dr. K R Balakrishnan is the director of India’s and Asia’s largest heart transplant programmes, performing close to 40 heart transplants each year.
- At Fortis Malar Hospital in Chennai, Dr. K R Balakrishnan was instrumental in establishing India’s First Comprehensive Centre for Heart Failure Management.
Dr. K R Balakrishnan is a recognized expert in the management of end-stage heart failure and is credited with implanting the first LVAD and HVAD pump as destination therapy in India.
He has extensive experience treating complex congenital heart disease, including switches in infancy, TAPVR repair, the common AV Canal, and the use of Homograft arterial conduits. Dr. Balakrishnan also performs other common cardiac procedures such as valve repair and replacement, aortic root replacement, and the Ross procedure.
Dr. K R Balakrishnan is a world-renowned Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeon who has an experience of more than 30 years.
Training and Certifications
- MBBS – Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Puducherry, 1976
- MS – General Surgery – All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, 1980
- MCh – Cardio-Thoracic Surgery – KEM Hospital, University of Bombay, 1982
- Fellowship, Cardiac Surgery, Oregon Health Sciences University, and St. Vincent Hospital, Portland
Expertise in Disease/Treatment
- Heart transplantation in India
- Lung transplantation in India
- Heart valve replacement surgery
- Coronary artery bypass grafting
- Aortic valve replacement
- Mitral valve replacement
- Pacemaker Implantation
Awards and achievements
- First Prize in surgery(1976), awarded by the Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry, India,
- First, in the University, Obstretics and Gynaecology(1976), Awarded by the University of Madras.
- First, in the University, Medicine, awarded by the University of Madras.
- Hiralal gold medal in surgery awarded by All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
- First rank and distinction, cardiothoracic board finals, University of Bombay.
- First distinction ever to be awarded by the Bombay University in the specialty
- FICCI Special Jury Award 2017
- Best Doctor Award by the Tamilnadu Government in 2017
- Double Helical National Health Award in 2017
- Images in cardiovascular medicine, Role of inflammation in atherosclerosis: immunohistochemical and electron microscopic images of a coronary endarterectomy specimen.
- Modified septosuperior approach for the repair of supracardiac total anomalous pulmonary venous return in infants
- Influence of lumen shape and vessel geometry on plaque stresses, possible role in the increased vulnerability of a remodelled vessel and the shoulder of a plaque.
- Indian Medical Association